Monday, December 15, 2008

First-Timer Tips for Sending a Treat to School


Tonight Kyle and I made cupcakes for his kindergarten class. Simple, right? Not necessarily . . . . . at least, not when you are sending it to your child's school for the very first time. If any of you fall into that category, here are my unsolicited first-timer tips:

1. Determine what day your child's class will be celebrating his/her birthday. Fortunately, Kyle's teacher sent a note home indicating that Kyle's class would be celebrating his birthday tomorrow. I'd like to point out that this note was addressed to Mrs. James-Heer and not Mr. James-Heer. :)

2. Determine how many kids are in your child's class. Again, we were lucky that this information was included in the teacher's note. Kyle's class has 21 students in it. However, don't forget to send at least one extra treat for the teacher.

3. Determine if homemade treats are allowed. I had to email Kyle's teacher (Mrs. M) last week to determine this. For some reason I was thinking homemade treats were not allowed, but Mrs. M said they were fine because there are no allergies in Kyle's class.

4. Decide what to make. Obvious, right? For me, cupcakes seemed to be the best option, especially since I would be making them on a week night. If any of you can think of other ideas/suggestions, please let me know.

5. If you decide to make cupcakes, it's helpful to have two cupcake pans so you can make 24 cupcakes at once . . . . . . a huge time saver for me. Fortunately, I thought of this last week and bought a second cupcake pan because I only owned one.

6. Involve your child in the cupcake making process. Why not? Besides, I need all the help I can get in the kitchen! Ha, ha! :)

7. Sprinkles are a good thing . . . . . always, always, always. Not only do they add color, fun and excitment, they also help hide mistakes.

8. Last, and certainly not least . . . . . . have a plan for how you (or your child) will transport the treat to school. Let me say this one again because it may be my most important tip of all. Have a plan for how you (or your child) will transport the treat to school. I say this because once Kyle saw all of the cupcakes frosted and ready to go, he said, "Mommy, how am I going to fit these into my backpack?" Like I said . . . . . . . have a plan. :)

And that my friends, are my 'first-timer tips for sending a treat to school.' If any of you have other thoughts or suggestions on this topic, please leave a comment and fill me in. Thanks.

Tracey :)

No comments: