I had a meeting this week at the GVSU Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences (CHS) in downtown Grand Rapids. This building is about a mile and a half away from the building I work in and it is right across the street from Spectrum Health. Parking in this area can be a hassle, not to mention, pretty limited. Therefore, GVSU provides a free shuttle bus service that runs between the two buildings every 5-7 minutes. Everyone I know downtown rides the bus . . . . . GVSU students, GRCC students, faculty/staff, community members, etc.
My ride over to the CHS building was very uneventful. The ride back on the other hand, was unlike any other.
When I got on the bus, I selected a window seat, and there was one, empty seat beside me. The last person to get on the bus was an older looker woman. I immediately felt like she didn't fit in for some reason, but didn't know why. Maybe it was her clothes or her overall demeanor . . . . . I don't know what is was for sure. Don't judge a book by its cover, right?
The woman sat down next to me and our coversation went something like this:
Woman: Hi, how are you?
Me: Good, how are you?
Woman: Oh, pretty good. I got my pop, ketchup, and salt and pepper (pointing to a Burger King bag that was on her lap).
Me: Oh.
Woman: I'm Barbara.
Me: Nice to meet you, Barbara.
Silence . . . . . . . pause, pause, pause
Barbara (leaning in close to me): You wouldn't happen to have any change on you that I could have to get something to eat, would you?
Me: No, sorry. I don't carry cash.
Okay, my suspicion that she might be a homeless person (which I didn't mention earlier), was beginning to seem more real. When she leaned in close to me, I thought I smelled alcohol on her breath. I was always taught that you should not give a homeless person any money. Instead, if you want to help them, you should give them food or clothing, etc.
Anyway, back to the story. After I told her I didn't have any money, she turned her attention away from me and started talking to some students across the aisle . . . . . . students who were eating pop tarts, which she asked them about. When that didn't go anywhere, she turned her attention back to me.
Barbara: How old are you? (out of the blue)
Me: Why do you ask?
Barbara: Oh, I don't know. You look like you're 18 (yeah, right!!!!!)
Me: I'm in my 30's.
Barbara: How old do you think I am?
Me: Oh, I don't know. I don't like to guess people's age. (Awkward, huh?)
Barbara: I'm 63!
Me: Really? You don't look 63.
Barbara: No, I am. I dye my hair (as she touched her hair).
Silence . . . . . . . pause, pause, pause
Barbara: You know, I had a grand mal seizure on a street in downtown Grand Rapids and was hit by a bus/truck (I can't remember which one). Look what happened to me.
Barbara then took her left arm out of her lap (which was tucked under her other arm), pulled up her sleeve, and showed me her hand, which had no fingers! She then proceeded to lift up her hat and reveal to me that the front part of her forehead and head, were slightly deformed.
Seriously, this really hapened to me (and her).
Me: Oh my gosh, that's awful. You're lucky to be alive. (What else do you say in this situation???)
Barabara then told me about her stay in the hospital (which she said was five years), her doctor, her prosthetic hand (which she didn't like), her attempt at a lawsuit and how her attorney is Sam Berstein, etc., etc., etc. The whole time I listened politely, nodded, etc., but wondered, when is this bus ride ever going to end??
Shortly therafter, we approached the YMCA, which is right across from my building. My meeting with Barbara ended with . . . . .
Barbara: You know, if you don't go in there (pointing to the YMCA) for a whole year, they'll let you stay in there all day. (I'm a member of the YMCA, so I know they offer a free, one day pass to folks once a year).
Me: Oh, really? That's good to know. I will keep that in mind, thanks. Oh, this is my stop. Goodbye.
Barbara: Bye.
Never before have I been in such a strange situation! I suspect that Barbara is indeed a homeless person who rides the bus downtown as a way to stay warm in the winter and solicit money and food. This was not the first time I have encountered a homeless person, or been approached for money. However, it was the first time that someone (a stranger) showed me their physical wounds. It was very, very awkward . . . . . . but sad, too.
Can you imagine if this had happened to you?
Thursday, January 22, 2009
A Crazy Thing Happened on the Way to CHS
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment