Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hand, foot and mouth . . . . what?

Clara has hand, foot and mouth disease! I knew she was coming down with something on Sunday, when she had a fever all day long and loss of appetite. Her fever got as high as 103.7 degrees. However, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with her and she seemed all better by Monday morning. I guess we chalked it up to a twenty-four hour bug. Then, when I picked her up from daycare yesterday, they pointed out some spots on Clara's hands and feet. I called our pediatrician's office this morning, and sure enough . . . . . she has all the symptoms of hand, foot and mouth disesase. Doesn't that sound just awful? Neither of my kids have had this before, so this is new for us. It actually sounds worse than what it really is, I think. Hand, foot and mouth disease is a viral infection which causes red spots on the hands, feet, and mouth area . . . . . usually inside the mouth. Some of the spots look like little blisters. Anyway, it's a viral infection, so there is nothing they could prescribe for Clara. It just has to run its course, which usually takes 3-7 days. I stayed home from work with Clara today, and Craig will stay home with her tomorrow. The worst part is that I had to cancel Clara's swallow study at Mary Free Bed tomorrow because she is contagious. So, we will have to wait another month before she gets that testing done.


On a related note, I took Clara to Zeeland Community Hospital this past Friday for some more blood work (they want to rule out celiac disease, which I'm confident she does not have). Anyway, they tried one arm and were unsuccessful (poor girl), then the other, and no suck luck! The nurses felt awful, but they just could not get any blood drawn. Kids her age have very small veins. We will try again in another few weeks. By the way, Kyle came with me to the hospital and he was very, very good. I think he was just glad that he did not have to get any pokes this time around.

Finally, I am posting another picture of Kyle from the other night, when we watered the flowers together. Isn't he cute? I just love his dimples. :)

1 comment:

GrammaKat said...

All of the grandchildren are getting things I have heard of, but never experienced when their parents were growing up. Perhaps it is just at the time, the doctors weren't familiar with them. I was very familiar with chicken pox. Jenni gave them to all three boys. Remember that?