Sunday, May 11, 2008

Riverbank Run

Yesterday, I ran in my tenth straight Fifth Third Riverbank Run - the largest 25K in the world. I wasn't sure how it was going to go given that I have taken a new approach to training this year. Unlike years past, I used a heart rate monitor and have been following a relatively intense training plan geared for the Ironman in September. I made a few modifications for the plan to accommodate the 25K race in May, but it still limited me to 3 runs per week so I could fit in swimming and biking. In the past, I would typically run 5-6 times per week in preparation for a race like this.

As for the race, it ended up being a great day. The weather was perfect - about 45 degrees and sunny at the start. I started the race going out slightly faster than normal - about 5:55 per mile for the first 3 miles. Then, I backed off a touch and held about a 6:05-6:10 pace until the hills located from mile 10 to mile 12. There, I hit a few in the 6:15-6:20 range and held that until the end (15.5 miles). According to my heart rate monitor, I had more to give during the race, but my legs were quite fatigued when I went through the hills. I think this is due to only running 3 times per week. In the end, I finished with a 1:36:06, which was my second best time ever. This was good for 70th overall (out of 4,412) and 10th in my age group (out of 324). Click here for the results. I will post the pictures when they become available.

Today, I am taking the day off from training as I am super sore. I am looking forward to using the jacuzzi tub.

1 comment:

Benjamin Passeno said...

Kudos to you. All that running would kill me. ;-)